Management Accountant Trainee
Background to the Current Opportunity
With a direct reporting line to the Operations Accountant, the position of Management Accountant Trainee will be highly varied and require a hands-on approach daily. The primary focus and duties for the post holder will be to maintain the general ledger, preparation of weekly site KPI reports and assisting with month and year end tasks.
Additionally, the Management Accountant Trainee will be expected to partake in the assistance of annual budgets and quarterly forecasts. With the nature of the company and varied role the successful applicant will also assist with ad hoc work and tasks as required by the operational accounts team.
This role is an exceptional opportunity for a graduate or junior accounts personnel, looking to progress to a fully qualified accountant. The role provides a platform to grow and operate within a global leading business whilst also focusing on professional and self-progression throughout.
Key To Success
It is likely that the successful individual would come from a university background being a graduate or a prospective graduate on course to obtaining at least a 2:1 degree. The successful applicant must meet the minimum entrance requirements to the ACCA qualification. The prospective post holder may also have one- or two-years’ experience in a transactional finance role.
It is essential that the successful candidate displays an ability to work at pace but also be very clear in their communications to their line manager and the wider business. With the varied teams and company personnel it is essential that the successful individual can display a professional and conscientious attitude to all tasks they partake in. The key to this role will be an individual hungry for success and always willing to learn from those above and around them within the company.
In this varied and hands on role the post holder will be responsible for weekly and monthly tasks and reports to provide key information to support the operational accounts team.
The post holder will receive comprehensive training in accounting and be given an insight into many different aspects of the operational accounts team. The position will allow the post holder to study toward an ACCA qualification. The role includes funding exam leave, training and tutorials as well as providing mentoring and training support when required.
This varied role will require occasionally travelling to our European sites when required.
Roles & Responsibilities
Reporting directly to the Operations Accountant, the post holder will be responsible for and undertake:
- General ledger maintenance;
- Preparation of weekly site KPI reports;
- Month end and year end tasks;
- Assistance in the preparation of monthly management accounts;
- Assistance in the preparation of annual budgets and quarterly re-forecasts; and
- Ad hoc work as required by the operational accounts team.
Qualifications & Experience
- Applicants must meet the minimum entrance requirements to the ACCA qualification;
- Proficient excel skills with the ability to manipulate data for financial analysis;
- Highly motivated with commitment, drive and determination to excel;
- Numerically minded and passionate about building a career within finance;
- Personable with good communication skills;
- Able to work on own initiative and also be a team–player; and
- Quicker learner who is able to work towards deadlines and has a strong eye for detail.
- Be on course for or obtained at least a 2:1 in any degree discipline;
- Experience working with Microsoft Dynamics;
- Previous experiences working in an office environment or a manufacturing environment; and
- Experience of presenting information to persons with a non-financial background.
One of our strategic priorities is to develop a world class safety culture and therefore any post holder must be prepared to display visible leadership and commitment to the Norbord culture. We are committed to the health and wellbeing of our employees, contractors and visitors by creating and maintaining a safe working environment. It is essential that the post holder understands safe working practices and always displays a commitment to working safely; ensuring safe work practices are in place. Working safely is a condition of employment.
- We believe everyone gets home safely.
- We believe all accidents are preventable when we work together.
- We believe in our company, our team and each other.
- We are Stronger Together.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Requirements:
The post holder will be working on a manufacturing site and will wear appropriate PPE to meet the conditions in force at any given time, as laid down in the Norbord site rules. Due care and attention must be taken with PPE to ensure it always remains fit for purpose. The post holder will be given training and must have a sound knowledge of all appropriate forms of PPE, their uses and limitations.
The post holder must recognise the need for flexibility in their position due to the specific demands of the role. To this end they must be willing to work reasonable additional hours to cover situations such as absence of colleagues.
There are no major physical demands to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Coping With Setbacks
The post holder must:
- Work productively in a pressurised environment;
- Keep emotions under control during difficult circumstances;
- Balance the demands of a work life and a personal life;
- Maintain a positive outlook at work;
- Handle criticism well and learn from it.
Package On Offer
Salary: £18,000-£22,000 per annum DOE
Hours: Normal working hours are 40 per week.
- Salary increase of £1,000 per successful exam pass at the strategic professional level exams
- £1,000 bonus for passing all strategic professional level exams on first sitting
- Profit Share
- Employer Pension Scheme (employee minimum is 3.5% for employer contribution of 7%)
- Professional qualification subscriptions covered by company
- Professional qualification and training financial support (where role relevant and agreed with line manager)
- Permanent Health Insurance
- Life Assurance (4 times annual salary)
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme (which is a free 24 hours access advice line)
- Access to Physiofocus (if required for ailments and agreed with Occupational Health)
Annual Leave: 23 days + 8 public days
First round interviews will be with our retained advisors, iMultiply.
Second stage will be conducted by Iain Elliott, Management Accountant and Amelia MacKenzie, Management Accounts Trainee (18 month into training).
Third stage will be conducted by Jennifer Docherty, Operations Accountant and Carol Brown, Group HR Manager.
All applications should be sent to Hamish Law at iMultiply. You can apply by emailing your CV to Hamish at email@example.com or by clicking the APPLY link below.
Please note any direct or third-party introductions will be sent to iMultiply for review and assessment.