TRUSTEE JOB DESCRIPTION
With other trustees to hold The Thistle Foundation 'in trust' for current and future beneficiaries by:
- ensuring that the Thistle Foundation has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and is focused on achieving these;
- being responsible for the performance of the Thistle Foundation and for it's 'corporate' culture
- ensuring that the Thistle Foundation complies with all legal and regulatory requirements;
- acting as guardians of the Thistle Foundation's assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over their security, deployment and proper application;
- ensuring that the Thistle Foundation's governance is of the highest possible standard.
Duties and tasks to fulfill these key responsibilities:
- Ensuring that the Thistle Foundation has a clear vision, mission and strategic direction and is focused on achieving these;
To work in partnership with other trustees, the chief executive and other senior staff to ensure that:
- The Thistle Foundation has a clear vision, mission and strategic plan that have been agreed by the board, and that there is a common understanding of these by trustees and staff;
- the business, operational and other plans support the vision, mission and strategic priorities;
- the Chief Executive’s annual and longer term objectives and targets support the achievement of the vision, mission and strategic priorities;
- that the Board’s policies support the vision, mission and strategic priorities;
- that there are effective mechanisms:
- to listen to the views of current and potential beneficiaries;
- to view external environment changes that might affect The Thistle Foundation;
- to reassess the need for the Thistle Foundation and for the services it provides, or could provide and
- to review regularly its strategic plans and priorities.
2. Being responsible, with the other trustees, for the performance of the Thistle Foundation and for its ‘corporate’ culture.
- To agree the method for measuring objectively the progress of the Thistle Foundation in relation to its vision, mission, and strategic priorities, and to receive regular reports on the performance of the Thistle Foundation.
- To ensure that the fundamental values and guiding principles of the Thistle Foundation are articulated and reflected throughout the charity.
- To ensure the views of beneficiaries on the performance of the Thistle Foundation are regularly gathered and considered by the board.
- To appoint the Chief Executive, to set his/her terms and conditions and to ensure that the Chief Executive and the Thistle Foundation invest in the Chief Executive's ongoing professional development.
- To receive regular reports from the Chief Executive on progress towards agreed strategic priorities.
- To hold the Chief Executive to account for the management and administration of the charity.
- To ensure the Chief Executive receives regular, constructive feedback on his/her performance in managing the Thistle Foundation.
- To ensure the Chief Executive develops a learning organisation and that all staff, review their own performance and regularly receive feedback.
- To articulate the values of the Thistle Foundation.
- To agree Board policies.
- To ensure that there are mechanisms for beneficiaries, employees, volunteers, other individuals, a group or organisations to bring to the attention of the Trustees any activity that threatens the probity of The Thistle Foundation.
3. Ensuring that the Thistle Foundation complies with all legal and regulatory requirements;
- To be aware of, and to ensure the charity complies with, all legal, regulatory and statutory requirements.
- To maintain familiarity with the rules and constitution that governs the Thistle Foundation, to ensure that the Thistle Foundation complies with its governing instruments and to review the constitution regularly.
- If the Thistle Foundation has powers to delegate, to agree the levels of delegated authority, to ensure that these are recorded in writing by means of minutes, terms of reference for Board committees and Sub-Committees, and to ensure that there are clear reporting procedures which are also recorded in writing and complied with.
- To ensure the responsibilities delegated to the Chief Executive are clearly expressed and understood, and directions given to him/her come from the board as a whole.
- Being guardians of all the Thistle Foundation's assets, both tangible and intangible, taking all due care over security, deployment and proper application.
- To ensure that the Thistle Foundation has satisfactory control systems and procedures for holding in trust for the beneficiaries all monies, properties and other assets and to ensure that monies are invested to the maximum benefit of the Thistle Foundation, within the constraints of the law and ethical and other policies laid down by the Board.
- To ensure that the major risks to which the Thistle Foundation is exposed are reviewed regularly and that systems have been established to mitigate and minimise these risks.
- To ensure that the income and property of the Thistle Foundation is applied for the purposes set out in the governing document and for no other purpose, and with complete fairness between persons who are properly qualified to benefit.
- To act reasonably, prudently and collectively in all matters relating to the Thistle Foundation and always act in the interests of the Thistle Foundation.
- To be accountable for the solvency and continuing effectiveness of the Thistle Foundation and the preservation of its endowments.
- To exercise effective overall control of the Thistle Foundation's financial affairs and to ensure that the way in which the Thistle Foundation is administered is not open to abuse by unscrupulous associates, employees or volunteers; and that the systems of control are rigorously and constantly maintained through regular evaluation and improvement in the light of experience.
- To ensure that intangible assets such as organisational knowledge and expertise, intellectual property, the Thistle Foundation’s good name and reputation etc. are properly valued, utilised and safeguarded.
- To ensure that all income due to the Thistle Foundation is received and that all tax benefits are obtained and all rating relief due is claimed.
5. Ensuring that the Thistle Foundation’s governance is of the highest possible standard.
- To ensure that the Thistle Foundation has a governance structure that is appropriate to a charity of its size/complexity, stage of development, and its charitable object, and that enables the trustees to fulfil their responsibilities.
- To reflect regularly on the board performance and on your own performance as a trustee.
- To ensure that the trustee board has the skills required to govern the Thistle Foundation well, and has access to relevant external professional advice and expertise.
- To ensure that there are succession plans for the chair and the Chief Executive.
- To participate in individual and collective development and training of trustees.
- To abide by the code of conduct for trustees.
- To ensure that major decisions and board policies are made by the trustees acting collectively.
If you are interested in applying to this opportunity, please contact Elaine Crichton on firstname.lastname@example.org