YOUTH SCOTLAND ARE RECRUITING FOR A TREASURER
Youth Scotland is Scotland’s leading charity for the support and delivery of community-based youth work. Our vision is to have in Scotland young people who are confident, resilient, aspirational and ready to reach their potential.
Through our network of over 1,000 youth groups and projects, we deliver services which help over 64,000 young people to learn, succeed and make positive contributions to their communities.
We are passionate about young people and believe that youth work changes lives.
With over 80 years of experience, we are innovative and are ambitious for the young people we support.
We champion all those who support young people particularly the role of volunteers in youth work.
Our current Treasurer, and Chair of the Finance & Resource Group, Jan Roxburgh, is stepping down after four years on the Board of Trustees of Youth Scotland. She is leaving behind a financially strong and resilient organisation which is highly respected and recognised for the difference it makes in young people’s lives.
The essential role of Treasurer is to bring financial experience to the Board of Trustees. Any experience of the youth work or third sector, while desirable, is not essential.
The remit of the Treasurer is to:
- Chair the Finance and Resource Group
- Meet with the Chief Executive on a regular basis (planning and reporting)
- Carry out finance functions as required
- Ensure compliance with the Auditors and oversee the Investments and Risk Management Policies
We have a committed Board of Trustees ably led by the new Chair, Dona Milne, a consultant in public health and steeped in youth work practice and policy with many years’ experience. The Board is drawn from across the public, private and voluntary sectors and is passionate about the work we do.
We are seeking applications from individuals who are interested in serving as Treasurer for an initial three year period from November 2017.
Over the next three years, incorporating the Year of Young People in 2018, we will:
- Provide more non-formal learning opportunities for young people to contribute both to their personal self-development and prospects for employment;
- Continue to support our paid and voluntary work force throughout Scotland;
- Promote the added value of community based youth work directly and in collaboration with numerous partners; and
- Ensure that Youth Scotland continues to be an effective and sustainable organisation within the charitable and youth work sector in Scotland.
This is an exciting voluntary post for someone who is committed to helping support the financial management and sustainability of Youth Scotland. Significant accountancy experience at a senior level in the public, private or voluntary sector would be an advantage as would active involvement in the governance of a charity or voluntary organisation.
For an informal discussion with our Chair, Dona Milne, or with our Chief Executive, please initially contact our Chief Executive, Ian McLaughlan at email@example.com or on 0131 554 2561.
An application pack will be available on the Youth Scotland website to interested applicants which will provide a comprehensive set of publications on all relevant aspects of our organisation.