The Scottish Salmon Company are an independent and fully integrated salmon farming business wholly operating in Scotland. Headquartered in central Edinburgh, they breed, farm and process salmon in the Western Highlands and Islands and sell around 30,000 tonnes of premium Scottish salmon a year to over 25 countries around the world. The company employs over 600 staff in 60 Freshwater, Marine and Processing facilities and is passionately committed to the environmental, cultural and economic sustainability of rural Scotland.
The Scottish Salmon Company achieved record revenues in excess of £180.1m in 2018, compared to theprevious record of £151m in 2017, now exports over half of production to key markets across the globe from North America to the Far East. Thebusiness also achieved healthy profits with EBIT in the region of£56.3m.The company is incorporated in Jersey and listed on the Norwegian stock exchange.
The business has gone through a couple of key acquisitions recently and are in the midst of developing what will be a completely unique offering to the market whilst also focusing on their growth strategy across North America and Asia.
Background to the Current Opportunity
During a period of positive growth, the company is now seeking to recruit a Payroll Manager for the business. With a direct reporting line to the Group Financial Controller, the postholder with be primarily responsible for the start to finish payroll of 650 employees throughout the group.
The role will also be focused on actively reviewing payroll processes and systems and having an ethos of continuous improvement to the function and the wider business.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a passionate and ambitious business and contribute to its future success by playing a key role in its journey.
Key to success
The Payroll Manager position is a challenging and high-profile post for an individual who has substantial management experience within a complex payroll function in a large organisation. The payroll environment is fast-changing and processes and solutions are becoming increasingly technology based. The ideal candidate will also have excellent communication, organisational and IT skills and be able to demonstrate initiative and a can-do approach to tasks. To be successful if this position, you must thrive on challenges and enjoy working in a busy, dynamic environment.
The Payroll Manager will effectively support the business on all aspects of payroll acting as a sounding board to the wider business for any payroll queries, system upgrades or payroll projects that take place. This is an integral role in the business and will be highly visible which requires an individual of the highest calibre.
Someone who is organised, has excellent attention to detail, an experienced payroll background and driven would thrive in this role.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- CIPP in Payroll Management (or equivalent) qualification.
- Full comprehensive knowledge of payroll policies & procedures e.g. PAYE, SSP, SMP etc. Legislation
- requirements for month end, expenses payroll reconciliation and reporting; Pension Auto
- Enrolment procedures & processes etc.
- Track record as a Payroll Manager, ideally experienced in managing a multi-site, multi-contract type
- payroll and working with an automated T&A based system.
- Confident in own abilities; attention to detail; approachable; good listener. Strong planning &
- organisational skills.
- Good communicator, verbal as well as written. Team player with ability to lead and demonstrate
- skills and experience.
- Discrete and confidential.
- Hands-on approach when required. Advanced user of Excel
Above all, this person must be an active participant in the business and proactive in their approach to initiatives or tasks that may not necessarily be written in a job description along with being a company ambassador for the Scottish Salmon Company brand.
The challenge of the Payroll Manager role will be producing on time, error free, compliant payroll and associated filings. Implement, maintain and manage all payroll systems. Advising the business on legal and efficiency improvements in addition to any non-compliance or breaches in law or duty.
Reporting directly to the Group Financial Controller, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Manage all payroll arrangements & requirements for the company, ensuring all legal
requirements, company policies and procedures are implemented and enforced.
- Ensuring the accurate processing of new employees, temporary workers, transfers, promotions and terminations is accurate and timely.
Measurement & Control
- Develop and administer the HR & Payroll KPI Dashboard, providing additional management reporting to the business which is accurate and relevant to its needs.
HR & External Liaison
- Work closely with HR department ensuring flow of information between HR and payroll adheres to company policies and procedures.
- In addition, manage external relationships such as auditors and external agencies.
Group Benefits Administration
- In partnership with the HR department, administer all group benefits. Aligning processes to provide an increasingly sophisticated payroll and benefits system.
- Evaluating and introducing new systems and procedures ensuring continuous improvement to meet business needs.
- Ensure systems are set-up and updated to reflect current employee base, including wages, benefits, sick and vacation time in line with contracts.
- Keeping abreast of law changes, tax directives and other information relating to Payroll by doing research, obtaining updates and gathering information through appropriate channels such as Payroll Institutions and Regulatory Bodies. Distributing internally as required.
- In conjunction with HR, support regular salary reviews to ensure industry comparative rates are met, as well as fine tuning benefits, incentives and salary packages that are market related.
Package on offer
||£45,000-£50,000 per annum DOE
6% Employer pension
Critical illness cover
Life assurance 4 x current basic annual salary
Share incentive plan
Cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, staff benefit discounts for a range of retailers
31 days inclusive of public holidays
Buy and Sell holiday scheme
All applications should be sent to Andrew Robinson, iMultiply, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note any direct or third-party applications will be sent to iMultiply for review and assessment