iMultiply are delighted to be retained by Genius to appoint a permanent Operations Controller/Senior Finance Business Partner based in West Lothian.
With a turnover of approximately £40m, Genius employs 300 people, split over 3 main UK sites (Edinburgh, Bathgate & Scunthorpe), with satellite offices in Paris, Melbourne and New York.
Genius is the market leading gluten free, gut friendly bakery brand. Our mission is to get everyone to trust their gut when it comes to making good decisions – whether that be life or food! We make great tasting, gut healthy products for everyone.
The bakery is located in Bathgate where approximately 200 employees work hard to bake the highest quality, delicious, gluten free bread, rolls, muffins, cupcakes, brioche and more.
The Innovation, Research & Development and Technical teams are also based in Bathgate where they work alongside the bakery teams to bring exciting new products to market that will delight our consumers. Procurement, Supply Chain, Planning, HR, Accounting Services, IT and Operations Finance are also based in Bathgate and are integral to ensuring everything runs smoothly and efficiently.
Genius products are sold in all the main UK retailers, and through the UK Foodservice channel helping to ensure our consumers can access products that are good for their guts, for every eating occasion.
In Europe we work with a number of retailers and outlets and sell Genius products in France, Germany, Netherlands, Sweden and Portugal.
In the last 12 months Genius has secured listings in Coles, one of the top 3 retailers in Australia and we are trialling a range of Genius products in the USA.
As a first-class business partner the individual fulfilling this role will provide value adding insight, decision support and analysis to the Operations leadership team. The primary aim of the role is to drive improvements in operational performance, whilst also being proactive in contributing to the wider business agenda. The individual will be a versatile and skilled finance professional. They will be responsible for delivering critical strategic, commercial and operation decision support including: leading the Operations annual and 3-year business planning processes; the financial appraisal of capital projects; development of product costing databases and monthly management accounting and reporting.
The role requires a passion for business and strong commercial acumen, combined with excellent technical capability and the softer skills that enable effective interaction with others. This role is key to ensuring operational performance is understood and decisions taken to improve performance are made through robust analysis and interpretation of data. The scope of the role covers all Genius locations but will be based in Bathgate. The role also exists to provide support and cover for other members of the Finance team, including deputising for the Head of Planning, Performance & Decision Support.
The role of Operations Controller will be required to liaise, interact and influence a variety of internal & externals stakeholders including:
- Head of Planning, Performance & Decisions Support
- Finance Business Partner (Commercial & Operations)
- Finance Director
- Chief Executive
- Chief Operating Officer
- Chief Commercial Officer
- Operations Teams
- Commercial Teams
- External Auditors
You will be involved in but not restricted to the following duties:
- Integral role in Operations Management Meetings, providing insight and analysis on reported operational performance and recommendations for improvement
- Monthly management accounting and reporting for Operations comprising: Gross Margin, direct costs, indirect costs, general overheads. Complimented by first class presentation material
- Monthly budget holder reviews and balance sheet reconciliations
- P&L responsibility and financial support for third party manufactured products
- Ensure robust financial control of inventories, covering the analysis and reporting of stock values, stock write-offs, and stock obsolescence. Working with the logistics, team the role will attend stock counts, complete stock reconciliations, validate stock balances and maintain stock provisions. Ensure effective working capital management
- Working with the manufacturing team to report and analyse KPIs e.g. line efficiency; wastage, labour cost per unit and ensure corrective action plans undertaken
- Working with the Chief Operating Officer and Operations Management team in strategic and operational decision making. This will be achieved through the provision of insight and financial appraisals to drive better business performance. Ensure that financial information is fully understood by non-Finance functions. Influence other functions to improve financial performance
- Budgeting and forecasting of Gross Margin, direct costs, indirect costs, general overheads and including consolidation of Operations costs and profitability
- Prepare and maintain accurate product costs for all SKUs (existing, new, and proposed) across Operations, and provide ad hoc support as required by Marketing and Innovation teams
- Involvement in Operations or wider Genius projects as required
- As a member of the Finance team, some supporting in the year-end audit process and responding to ad hoc requests (e.g. tax, insurance) will be required
To be considered for this opportunity you must have the following experience:
- Holds a recognised accountancy qualification such as CIMA, ACCA, ICAS or ICAEW. Qualified by experience will be considered with relevant practical experience
- Strong industrial industry sector experience such as FMCG, Manufacturing, Engineering, Oil & Gas etc.
- Excellent inter-personal skills. Effective and empathetic team player. The individual must have a desire to learn and develop themselves as well as those around them
- A proven track record of business partnering with a variety of internal and external stakeholders including non-financial individuals & departments
- Exceptional communication skills – verbal and written
- Exposure to ERP systems, SAP would be desirable but not essential
Package on offer
Salary: Highly competitive base salary
Bonus: Up to 15% (based on company performance)
Pension: Contributory Pension Scheme
Annual Leave: 33 days (including public holidays)
Other Benefits: Flexible working and ability to work from home
All applications should be sent to our recruitment partner, John Gilbertson at iMultiply – email@example.com
John can be contacted on 0131 603 7747 for any questions or queries, all enquiries shall be treated with the strictest confidence.
Please note any direct or third-party applications will be sent to iMultiply for review and assessment.