At Charles River, our purpose is clear, and our passion is strong: together, we create healthier lives. In 2018, we supported ~85% of drugs approved by the FDA, a significant accomplishment that makes us all proud to be part of this remarkable team. Every role at Charles River matters to thousands of clients and millions of patients around the globe.
With 80 sites around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and launch multidisciplinary teams to resolve our customers’ unique challenges. Our focus on timeliness and accuracy in every stage of development means we can be counted on to provide reliable, reproducible results, every step of the way.
- Founded: 1947 with Headquarters in Wilmington, MA
- Employees: 14,700+ worldwide
- Revenue: $2.27 billion in FY2018
- Ownership: Publicly traded (CRL)
- Customers: Leading pharmaceutical, biotechnology, agrochemical, government and academic organizations around the world
- Service Areas: Basic research, discovery, safety and efficacy, clinical support and manufacturing
We are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science, and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do. We approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe.
In recent years, Charles River has established an accounting centre of excellence in a new location out-with their original site in Tranent, East Lothian. Located in the West of Edinburgh, within modern offices at the Heriot Watt University Campus, EASST (European Accounting & Shared Services Team) is well positioned geographically for many candidates in Central Scotland with excellent public transport services and road networks (M8 and Edinburgh City Bypass) and on-site parking. The site is also benefitted by the University Campus recreational facilities which includes shops, restaurants and a state-of-the-art elite sports gym complex. Just a short drive from the Gyle Shopping Centre, the EASST is situated in an extensive and very leafy University Campus, which lends well to lunchtime walks or runs, with the convenience of local amenities close-by.
Background to the opportunity
This is a key role within the European Accounting hub which is located at the Heriot Watt Research Park on the outskirts of Edinburgh. Known internally as EASST (European Accounting & Shared Services Team), the European Accounting hub is central to Charles Rivers’ continued European expansion. EASST supports a number of key regions across Europe including UK, Ireland, Germany Netherlands, Finland, Belgium and France.
Charles River has experienced significant growth from its acquisitive strategy. Having made a number of impressive acquisitions to date, there is continued M&A activity on the horizon – making this a very exciting time to join the business. With this impressive growth, a period of consolidation of European entities into the Edinburgh group, is now taking priority. This has resulted in the newly created role of International Financial Accounting Manager for the Netherlands Region. This is a senior role within the team and will sit alongside a number of specialist subject matter experts covering the areas of; VAT, Corporation Tax, Controls, Treasury, M&A, Systems and Projects. Charles River anticipates that the EASST function will continue to grow and develop as a valued partner to the business as the overall strategic plan is implemented.
Key to success
Critical to the success and development of the role will be a candidate who possesses a strong and proactive approach to building excellent relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues, whilst also providing the Executive team with insightful reporting and analysis to aid planning, delivery and key decision making within the Netherlands Region.
The successful candidate will be a professionally qualified accountant who possesses excellent technical, interpersonal and team working skills. This individual may come from a professional or industry background and must have gained the appropriate technical exposure required to perform in the role.
This is a high-profile role and requires an individual of the highest calibre. Someone who is organised, with excellent attention to detail, a strong technical background and driven to succeed will thrive in this position and organisation.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Qualified Accountant (CA, ACCA, CIMA or Dutch equivalent)
- Excellent communicator with strong team building skills. Ability to coordinate both internal and external teams.
- Exposure to Lean/Six Sigma or similar process improvement principles
- Good working knowledge of Dutch GAAP (with IFRS and US GAAP being desirable)
- Experienced in preparing Dutch GAAP statutory accounts
- Good understanding of Dutch GAAP taxation
- Advanced Excel skills
- Good understanding of ERP systems, specifically SAP
- Good understanding of other ERP systems and Consolidation software (CRL use SAP and BPC in its SSC, various other systems elsewhere)
- Strong communication skills with a proven hands-on approach
- People leadership/mentoring and/or staff management
- Understanding internal control processes (SoX) in a large corporate environment
- Presence of character to command respect and build productive working relationships at all levels
Above all, this person must actively support the organisation’s values of Care, Lead, Own and Collaborate that help them to put their purpose into practice. The values shape how they work, underpin their actions, and help to make Charles River a great place to work.
The successful candidate will be responsible for managing the monthly GL reporting process for the Netherlands, including review and approval of journal entries, reviewing balance sheet and income statement accounts and financial reporting with a moderate to high level of complexity in accordance with US GAAP, company policies and Country GAAP standards. Oversees and reviews the accounting process for specified accounts and/or lower level personnel.
Ensuring the timely preparation of statutory accounts, VAT filings, tax returns and other compliance documents for nominated entities within the country.
A key focus will be to build excellent relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues. This will include EASST personnel (European Accounting & Shared Service Team), Business Finance (based in the Netherlands) and site executive management.
Reporting directly to the Director, European Accounting, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Lead the execution of the accounting close for nominated entities, ensuring that financial accounting data is compiled in an accurate and timely manner.
- Build excellent relationships with key stakeholders and colleagues. This will include EASST personnel (European Accounting & Shared Service Team), Business Finance (based in country) and site executive management.
- Support projects impacting your nominated entities.
- Prepare and monitor detailed month end calendar for Accounting team.
- Prepare and/or review monthly journal entries requiring calculations of a moderate to high level of difficulty. Review journal entries prepared by others.
- Prepare and/or review monthly balance sheet account reconciliations with a moderate to high level of complexity. Review balance sheet reconciliations prepared by others.
- Prepare quarterly and annual group reporting schedules.
- Analyse operating and non-operating expenses.
- Analyses complex financial data and extracts relevant information; interprets data for purpose of determining past financial performance and/or to project a financial probability.
- Provide and interpret financial information for managers to make economic or business decisions.
- Ensure accounting policies are being followed.
- Assist with the implementation and design of accounting and financial planning systems.
- Provide internal and external auditors with requested documentation.
- Understand and comply with Sarbanes-Oxley controls. Co-ordinate the documentation and testing of processes and controls and lead the SoX audit for your nominated entities. Collaborate with site personnel to have a successful SoX audit in all areas for the site.
- Maintain periodic (monthly or quarterly) local GAAP adjustments journals for nominated entities. Prepare annual statutory accounts and lead the external audit process for your nominated entities. Collaborate with site personnel to have a successful external audit in all areas for the site.
- Prepare VAT returns, tax packs and tax returns for all nominated entities.
- Prepare and/or review government statistical forms and address corresponding queries.
- Identify, control and escalate items likely to cause interest at higher levels of CRL – adopt a “no surprises” methodology
- Responsible for building and maintaining excellent relationships with both internal and external key stakeholders
- Undertake any other tasks as reasonably requested by your line manager and to ensure that your work is conducted in a cooperative and flexible manner.
- Responsible for ensuring that work is conducted in accordance with Standard Operating Procedures, where applicable, to Charles River’s standard of quality.
- Responsible for ensuring that a safe working environment is maintained for yourself and your colleagues by observing all safety procedures and working methods, by making proper use of protective clothing and equipment, and by reading, understanding and following all safety documents issued or notified to you.
Package on offer
||Competitive salary DOE, plus a generous travel allowance
Flexible working hours with the option to work from home when appropriate
8% employer contributory pension scheme with 3% employee contribution
||32 days (inclusive of 4 statutory holidays)
||Role to be based in Edinburgh but with 15-20% travel to the Netherlands annually.
All applications should be sent to Daryl Harper, iMultiply, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note any direct or third-party applications will be sent to iMultiply for review and assessment.