The Scottish Salmon Company are an independent and fully integrated salmon farming business wholly operating in Scotland. Headquartered in central Edinburgh, they breed, farm and process salmon in the Western Highlands and Islands and sell around 30,000 tonnes of premium Scottish salmon a year to over 25 countries around the world. The company employs over 600 staff in 60 Freshwater, Marine and Processing facilities and is passionately committed to the environmental, cultural and economic sustainability of rural Scotland.
The Scottish Salmon Company achieved record revenues in excess of £180.1m in 2018, compared to the previous record of £151m in 2017, now exports over half of production to key markets across the globe from North America to the Far East. The business also achieved healthy profits with EBIT in the region of £56.3m. The company is incorporated in Jersey and listed on the Norwegian stock exchange.
The business has gone through a couple of key acquisitions recently and are in the midst of developing what will be a completely unique offering to the market whilst also focusing on their growth strategy across North America and Asia.
Background to the Current Opportunity
During a period of positive growth, the company is now seeking to recruit a Financial Accountant to the business. With a direct reporting line to the Deputy Financial Controller, the postholder with be primarily responsible for the period end close process, preparation of the management accounts, statutory audit, preparation of the annual statutory accounts and quarterly updates.
The role will also be focused on actively reviewing month-end financial processes, reconciliations and having an ethos of continuous improvement to the function and the wider business.
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a passionate and ambitious business at a great stage in its growth and contribute to its future success by playing a key role in its journey.
Key to success
The Financial Accountant position requires a professionally qualified accountant who possesses excellent technical, interpersonal and teamworking skills. It is likely that the individual will have come from a professional practice background and will have already made their first move into industry and are now looking for a role that gives more variety than a purely financial reporting role. There will also be a high likelihood that a candidate at manager level within the Big4 or Mid-Tier firms may also be relevant to the role given the technical reporting requirements around IFRS.
The Financial Accountant will effectively support the Deputy Financial Controller on a number of key items within the function which acts as a sounding board to the wider business. In particular, it is crucial they can take responsibility for the delivery of accurate and high-quality financial information, often to meet challenging timescales.
This is an integral role in the business and will be highly visible which requires an individual of the highest calibre. Someone who is organised, has excellent attention to detail, a strong technical background and driven would thrive in this role.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Qualified Accountant CA/ACCA
- At least 1-2 years’ PQE in Financial Accounting or Audit
- Advanced user of Excel
- Enthusiastic and self-starter
- Excellent problem-solving skills & demonstrate good attention to detail, good judgement showing logical decision making a hands-on approach
- Strong communicator at all levels with the ability to work well as part of a team but also on their own
Above all, this person must be an active participant in the business and proactive in their approach to initiatives or tasks that may not necessarily be written in a job description along with being a company ambassador for the Scottish Salmon Company brand.
The challenge of the Financial Accountant role will be to produce high quality financial reporting whilst working at pace in a PLC reporting environment that is constantly growing and evolving to meet the demands and challenges of the salmon farming sector.
Reporting directly to the Deputy Financial Controller, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Managing the month end close process
- Responsible for key reconciliations in each area of the business e.g. Marine/Fresh Water stock
- Preparation of management accounts and Board Report
- Financial control and reporting of Smokehouse and Restaurant
- Responsible for IFRS adjustment (FV calculation, IFRS16, Impairment reviews etc)
- Financial accounting entries e.g. broodstock/fresh water rec
- First draft Annual Report/Half Year report including notes
- Ad-hoc external accounting support
- Supporting project managers with cost control process for large capex projects
- Apply the financial control system e.g. asset verification, PO/authority limits, capex and payments)
- Review processes and controls to identify areas of improvement/weaknesses and suggest modifications as appropriate.
- Prepare Statutory Accounts and other statutory filings e.g. VAT, Corporation tax etc and ensure filings are completed on time
Package on offer
||£40,000-£45,000 per annum DOE
6% Employer pension
Critical illness cover
Life assurance 4 x current basic annual salary
Share incentive plan
Cycle to work scheme, childcare vouchers, staff benefit discounts for a range of retailers
31 days inclusive of public holidays
Buy and Sell holiday scheme (up to 3 days)
All applications should be sent to Daryl Harper, iMultiply, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note any direct or third-party applications will be sent to iMultiply for review and assessment