FINANCE DIRECTOR - Netball Scotland Limited
Netball Scotland’s Mission Statement:
Our mission is to lead the sustainable growth of Netball and its people.
Our vision is to be the first choice sport for girls and women in Scotland.
Responsible for the efforts, results, and success of Netball Scotland’s finance department. Provides financial advice and support to help senior executives make key decisions.
The successful individual will be contributing to a leading and dynamic Board at a very exciting time of our development and continued growth. Netball Scotland Board is responsible for the subsidiary company Scottish Sirens Limited whose semi-professional team The Sirens compete in the Vitality Netball Superleague. At Netball Scotland we work as a collaborative team and our culture is one of inspiration, respect, excellence and courage. This is a great opportunity for someone with a passion for sport and presents great potential for the development of new and existing skills, meeting new people and creating different networks whilst making a genuine difference for our sport of Netball. This is a particularly exciting time for netball in Scotland as we look forward to the forthcoming Commonwealth Games in 2018 and the Netball World Cup in 2019.
There are usually seven Board meetings in a calendar year i.e. January, February, April, June, August, October and December. The AGM is in September. Each Director’s commitment is approx. 4/6 hours per month but this can vary depending on time of year/netball season. Board meetings are held at the Emirates Arena, Glasgow, normally between 6pm and 8pm on Tuesday evenings.
The post is voluntary and therefore non-remunerated, although reasonable travel expenses will be reimbursed according to Netball Scotland’s policies and procedures.
Accountability: The Chair
- Undertake responsibilities of Company Secretary
- Oversee, review, provide direction for, and adhere to, the budget for Netball Scotland, including oversight of Scottish Sirens Ltd.’s budget and performance against set KPIs.
- Lead the annual budgetary planning, working closely with the Chair and CEO.
- Ensure that the company's financial practices are in line with statutory regulations and legislation.
- Analyse financial climate and market trends to support executive decision making.
- Interpret complex financial information and provide updates and information as needed.
- Monitor cash flow, accounts, and other financial transactions.
- Supervise Operations Manager, financial assistants and other employees in the facilitation of day-to-day operations, including tracking financial data, invoicing, payroll, etc.
- Chair the Netball Scotland Finance Committee and oversee the preparation of official reports on a monthly and annual basis.
- Present the annual accounts and finance performance report at the AGM.
- Seek out methods and practices to minimise financial risk.
- Contract auditing services to ensure financial monitoring is up-to-date.
- Create and maintain relationships with banking institutions and accountants.
- Update and implement financial policies and procedures.
- Establish and implement a training programme for new finance employees.
The ideal candidates should have:
- Degree in accounting, business or finance, with several years of practical, hands-on financial experience (preferably in a SME or not-for-profit organisation);
- excellent mathematical, commercial, and leadership skills;
- understanding of data privacy standards;
- exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal;
- thorough understanding of business principles and practices;
- superior attention to detail;
- planning skills;
- problem-solving skills;
- research skills;
- analytical skills;
- critical thinking skills
- Excellent communication skills and experience of public speaking
Terms and Conditions:
As stated in Netball Scotland’s Articles of Association, a Director will normally be elected onto the Netball Scotland Board at the Annual General Meeting for a three year term. However, whenever a vacancy arises a Board Director may be Co-opted as a Director until such time of the next AGM at which an election can take place. All Directors are eligible to serve for a maximum of two terms i.e. six years in total.
An Expression of Interest letter or email should be submitted by the closing date of Monday 29th January 2018 with a summary CV and outlining your motivation and interest in this position to:
Netball Scotland Operations Manager,
1000 London Road,
You may also contact Karen Dunn, Netball Scotland’s Operations Manager, at the above email address if you wish to arrange an informal discussion, via email or phone, regarding this position with the Chair of the Board, Caroline Mansley, before submitting your expression of interest.
The Chair will contact you ASAP.
It is anticipated that interviews will be conducted early February 2018.
This vacancy is not open to anyone who has been disqualified from holding a Directorship in a Limited Company.