Baxters Food Group is a fourth generation privately owned entrepreneurial business which specialises in the manufacturing of premium quality primarily branded, food products. A truly global organisation with business activities covering Europe, Canada, Australia and USA. The Group's product range includes soups, canned meat products, sour pickles, sauces, vinegar, anti-pasta, preserved, salad and meat accompaniment. This is under the Baxters brand and a variety of other owned or licensed brands.
Since the turn of the Millennium, Baxters have undertaken a number of acquisitions with the current company turnover sitting at £340m. One of their most recent acquisitions, Wornick, a leading supplier of convenience foods and military rations to institutional customers including restaurant chains, consumer product goods companies and the U.S Government, has seen the group for the first time operating a company based in the U.S. which also now accounts for 60% of group total revenue.
As a result of this exciting growth, Baxters opened a Group Head Office in Edinburgh which has become the new location for the Baxters Executive Team, Group Finance and Commercial Finance functions. Key to the commercial finance function will be the recruitment of a high calibre Finance Analyst who will be pivotal in the ongoing success of the company.
Background to the Current Opportunity
With a direct reporting line to the Senior Commercial Finance Manager, the Finance Analyst will be primarily responsible for assisting in the delivery of the monthly forecasting process at SKU/Customer level along with preparing detailed performance reporting with a high level of analysis and insight to be used to share with the commercial teams and board.
Additionally, the Finance Analyst will be expected to bring a continuous improvement mindset to existing systems and processes and work in conjunction with the Senior Commercial Finance Manager providing support for specific product areas and customers, most of which will require large volume data manipulation through Excel.
This role represents an excellent opportunity to join one of Scotland’s best-known companies in the FMCG sector, a business which is a highly regarded household name steeped in history and tradition. It will offer the successful candidate a chance to fully understand the key commercial drivers of a business with a view to being part of the future succession planning of the commercial function as well as contributing to the success of the company by playing a key role in its journey.
Key to success
It is likely that the individual has recently qualified within a period of 0-3 years and is already working to a commercial capacity in a role which requires a high amount of data manipulation on Excel, but the position may also suit a high calibre CA coming from the Big4 with a background in financial modelling. Due to the high focus on ensuring accurate monthly forecasting and product performance, it is critical that the successful candidate has the ability to work in a demanding environment where there will be an expectation of producing ad-hoc requests by the senior management team at short notice. This role is very much seen as a development role for someone to come into a hands-on and detailed role to begin with, which in time will develop into a commercial business partnering role to support the wider commercial teams and influence key decision makers.
Baxters are coming out of a period of consolidation right now and the main focus for them is to improve the performance on a number of their key revenue streams and products across the globe. It is essential that the successful candidate displays an ability to work at pace but also be very clear in their communications to their line manager and the wider business.
Above all, this person must be an active participant in the operation and proactive in their approach to initiatives or tasks that may not necessarily be written in a job description.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Qualified Accountant CA/ACCA
- Good to advanced Excel skills and happy to spend extensive time building, maintaining and interpreting spreadsheet modelling
- Logical thinker good at understanding IT systems
- Keen to develop commercial awareness
- 1-2 years’ experience
- Resilient character able to deal effectively with strong personalities
- Self- motivated to deliver under pressure and to specific deadlines
The challenge of the Finance Analyst role will be to produce high quality financial reporting whilst working at pace in an environment that is constantly evolving to meet the demands of the business.
The successful candidate will need to be able to cope with uncertainty and add credibility through clear communication to Board and leadership team.
Reporting directly to the Senior Commercial Finance Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Manage the tools and process necessary to deliver an accurate monthly forecasting process at SKU / Customer level working closely with the demand planning team
- Prepare excellent performance reporting, and cause analysis which can be easily shared with commercial teams to support effective, timely decision making
- Support the Finance Manager in the development and reporting of financial budgets and processes through detailed understanding of profitability drivers
- Work with the Commercial Finance Manager to support the challenge and development of customer brand plans which are in line with the strategy and financial requirements of Baxter’s and measure progress to plan
- Ad-hoc reporting and analysis as required to quickly identify root cause profitability challenges and support the development of action plans to resolve
- Liaise with IT on relevant system developments impacting on the forecasting and reporting process / tools to increase the effectiveness and accuracy of forecasting cycle
- Support the Marketing teams in management of external spend to budget
- As required, manage allocated projects within the wider Finance team.
Package on offer
||Private Medical Cover
||33 days inclusive of statutory days
All applications should be sent to Daryl Harper, iMultiply, at email@example.com
Please note any direct or third-party applications will be sent to iMultiply for review and assessment