Producing innovative and high-performance diets for more than 45 fish and shrimp species in over 60 countries, BioMar are world leaders in sustainable aquaculture feed production. Headquartered in Aarhus, Denmark, the Group was founded in 1962 by a group of Danish fish farmers.
BioMar is dedicated to the development and production of high-quality fish feed through 17 factories in some of the most important fish farming nations in the world, including Norway, Chile, Greece, the United Kingdom, Spain, France, and Denmark. BioMar continues to grow; production in China began in 2017 and the ongoing construction of a new Tasmanian factory due to launch operations in 2020. BioMar Group currently employs 1,500 people and produces 1.2 million tonnes of feed annually.
BioMar UK designs, manufactures, markets and distributes feed for fish farming in Scotland and for export markets. Focusing on high physical quality and feed performance has led BioMar to become a leading supplier to aquaculture industries. Headquarters and production are based at a dockside location in Grangemouth.
The company has increased its export activity and continues to diversify into new markets, now selling to over five countries. Combined with the existing domestic sales in the UK to key customers, the business continues to deliver solid performance in a challenging market. To improve our commercial analysis and decision making this new position of Commercial Finance Manager has been created. This role will be pivotal to the ongoing success of the company.
Background to the Current Opportunity
With a direct reporting line to the Finance Director, the Commercial Finance Manager will be primarily responsible for driving and enhancing the sales and margin performance of the business, owning the commercial budgeting and forecasting process and preparing detailed performance reporting with a high level of analysis and insight to share with the commercial decision making team.
The Commercial Finance Manager will be expected to bring a continuous improvement mindset to existing systems and processes and work with the Finance Director to provide support for specific product areas and customers. Furthermore, they will be afforded the opportunity to be the lead for the UK in the implementation of a new BI tool in conjunction with Group IT which will be instrumental in supporting decisions on the future performance of BioMar. Once fully implemented, it will be the responsibility of the Commercial Finance Manager to maximise the use and effectiveness of the BI tool across the business and will be viewed as the subject matter expert for the UK.
This role represents an excellent opportunity to join one of Europe’s most innovative businesses within their sector and who are very proud of their history over the last 50+ years providing an excellent, high quality product. It will offer the successful candidate a chance to fully understand the key commercial drivers of a business whilst also directly supporting the Finance Director as well as contributing to the commercial success of the company.
Key to success
It is likely that the individual has recently qualified within a period of 2-5 years and is already working in a commercial capacity which requires a high amount of data management and analysis. The position may also suit a high calibre CA coming from the Big4 or mid-tier firms with a strong background in manipulating data on Excel and providing analysis for senior managers. Due to the focus on ensuring accurate monthly forecasting and product performance, it is critical that the successful candidate has the capability to work in an environment where there will be an expectation of producing reports and analysis at short notice. This role is very much seen as a commercial business partnering role, requiring skills in senior stakeholder management. The role will support the wider commercial team and will have a direct impact on decisions that determine the profitability of the business.
It is essential that the successful candidate displays an ability to work and make decisions at pace but also be very clear in their communications to their line manager and the wider business. Above all, this person must be an active participant in the business and proactive in their approach to supporting projects and initiatives across all functions.
A summary of the key candidate requirements are as follows:
- Qualified Accountant CA/ACCA/CIMA with 2-5 years’ PQE
- Advanced Excel skills
- An analytical thinker
- Enjoys business partnering across the business
- Logical thinker and good understanding of IT systems
- Resilient character able to influence communicate effectively at senior level
- Self-motivated to deliver under pressure and to specific deadlines
- Previous experience of process development or improvement
- Enjoys coaching colleagues in financial awareness
Reporting directly to the Finance Director, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Propose and drive ideas that will enhance the sales and margin performance of the business.
- Responsible for maintaining the costing system within the ERP system (M3), maintaining cost of sales accruals and monitoring variances.
- Key member of the commercial decision-making team, providing information that provides both support and challenges the commercial team
- Responsible for the commercial budgeting and volume forecasting process
- Responsible for the development of pricing procedures for each customer
- Provide analytical reports for specific strategic or commercial decisions and impact on profit margin
- Primary Finance contact for projects of both a commercial and non-commercial nature. Provides robust financial analysis and explain the assumptions within the financials for business projects. Be accountable for the accuracy of those financials in driving business decisions.
- Account for all stock movements and ensure the accuracy of all stock information in the general ledger.
- Play a key role in the development and improvement of costing, inventory and planning systems.
- Prepare, analyse and report weekly, monthly, quarterly gross margin analysis by product and customer type
- PIP (Profit Improvement Plans) - measure actual performance to target and work with management team to prepare an action plan to address any underperformance.
- Prepare the cost of sales for the annual budget and periodic forecasts
- Responsible for the calculation and analysis of product sales and margins. Provide commentary and variance analysis for sales and margins in the monthly management accounts.
- Margin reconciliation - enhance reporting structure with margin information by product and variance
- Prepare, review & communicate weekly sales reporting & margin (to include Price Volume Mix analysis)
Package on offer
Pension 12% employer 3% employee
8x group life assurance scheme
Private Medical Cover for self with ability to add family (Vitality Scheme)
Gym facilities on-site
Flexible working and work from home policy (8-10am start, 4-6pm finish)
Participation in Profit Share Scheme
||33 days inclusive of 4 statutory days
All applications should be sent to Daryl Harper, iMultiply, at email@example.com
Please note any direct or third-party introductions will be sent to iMultiply for review and assessment