Management Accountant Job Description
An excellent opportunity has arisen to join Blackwood as a permanent Management Accountant based in Edinburgh city centre.
Blackwood is an award-winning Housing and Care provider specialising in homes and care services for people with disabilities.
Across Scotland, Blackwood has 1600 properties, 4 care homes, and delivers 5000 hours of care, working in 29 out of 32 local authorities. With now over 500 employees and ambitious growth plans for the next 5 years, this is an exciting time to join the team as they continue to deliver their founder Dr Margaret Blackwood’s philosophy of helping more people live their lives to the full, through an outstanding approach to innovation.
Blackwood's culture is to work collaboratively to find solutions, harnessing high levels of professional expertise in our teams, so that they can overcome even the toughest challenges and ensure a bright future. Blackwood believe that approach offers a very high level of job satisfaction where your energy, expertise, and forward thinking will result in an exciting future for you and the business.
The Management Accountant role is an exciting new opportunity in Blackwood’s Finance team, reporting to the Finance Manager. The successful candidate will adopt a business partner relationship with our budget-holders across all functions within the organisation including housing, care, assets and corporate services. You will provide high-quality, effective financial management and advice from both our Head Office in Edinburgh and by regularly visiting regional sites with the key aims of:
- Financial performance monitoring
- Development of new business opportunities
- Supporting the delivery Blackwood projects
- Robust Financial Planning
Provide support to business managers by interpreting and explaining performance as well as advising and supporting business development through:
- Actively engaging with managers to monitor revenue and capital budgets ensuring they are fully aware of their service’s financial position and the financial implication of their decisions
- Producing comprehensive managements accounts reports that fully meet the users’ needs to support effective financial management of the service
- Supporting the performance of the services through providing analysed data, both financial and non-financial, to support decisions
- Quarterly reforecasting with managers identifying options to deliver the target financial performance
- Develop comprehensive financial options to support tendering opportunities which have considered both commercial and quality requirements setting out any financial risks that may need to be considered
- Provide support to transformational projects to maximise the return on investment and ensure the project is delivered within agreed resources
- Proactively seek improvements to processes and investigate problems with the relevant Service to support recommendation for changes to policies, procedures and systems that will improve performance
- Provide continuous coaching to managers to ensure effective financial management across Blackwood
Assist Services on the financial planning process to set their annual budget and 5-year financial plan to meet Blackwood’s objectives:
- Identifying business development opportunities
- Setting out manpower resources required to support the business
- Capital investment required
- Resources required for enabling transformation
- Reflecting the external environment and any impact/opportunities
Internal Controls and Audit
- To support the Finance Manager to maintain and develop financial policies to ensure effective internal financial controls
- Support the preparation of statutory accounts preparing relevant scheduled for external auditors
- Input to financial systems improvements to support effective financial management
- To manage workload and time to support the wider finance demands and team objectives as prescribed by the Finance Manager
- Production of various finance returns from time to time
- Leading Business Process Reviews for Finance, as well as an involvement in other processes with an impact on Finance, at all levels within the organisation.
- Provision of full cover for the other accountants during periods of absence, assuming full responsibility for those tasks normally provided by colleagues
- Contribute towards effective knowledge management within Blackwood
- Maintain competence through CPD in relevant aspects of the role.
- Ensure compliance and implementation of Blackwood’s policies including those relating to health and safety, emergency procedures, data protection, equal opportunities, code of conduct and disciplinary procedure, and service standards.
- Undertake such other reasonable duties consistent with the scope and purpose of the post as may be instructed by the Finance Manager.
- Responsible for the day to day management and regular review of information held on ICT systems and in data folders within their departmental responsibility.
This role comes with a salary of £32,965 - £35,637 per annum (pay scale GN07) with the organisation able to offer the top banding depending on experience. The office premises are based in Edinburgh city centre which is easily accessible via public transport, plus they have parking facilities available on-site.
The role also offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Generous holiday allowance
- Competitive pension scheme
- Life Assurance
- Sick pay
- Learning and development opportunities
- Work phone
- Employee assistance programme
To be considered for this opportunity, you must have the following experience
- Actively studying a professional accountancy qualification – CIMA, ACCA, ICAS, ICAEW, CIPFA (ESSENTIAL)
- Well versed in the preparation of management accounts (ESSENTIAL)
- Exposure to budget monitoring and/or setting (ESSENTIAL)
- Intermediate to advanced user of Excel
- Ability to interact and engage with internal & external stakeholders
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
For a confidential discussion about this vacancy please call Andrew Robinson on 0131 603 7746. All applications and enquiries will be treated in strictest confidence.
To apply for this position, please send your CV to Andrew Robinson at email@example.com
All third-party applications will be forwarded to iMultiply.